It’s that time for us again… time to consider a move. As the list of options grow smaller, the concerns for what each location means to our family grow larger and larger. Because of all the unknowns with whatever delays Jack may or may not have, it makes deciding that much harder.

I have a confession to make. Ray had fewer concerns about Memphis than I did. I knew this was our only chance to be close to family. I couldn’t imagine how everyone would react to moving after two years of being this close to the Wonderland I mentioned in my last post. This week, I had to start breaking the ice. Memphis is out of the question. There was one questionable position here. I didn’t think Ray would be happy doing that job. This week, that door closed. Abruptly. In our face. Staying here is not an option.

The next duty station will determine how long Ray stays in the military. It sets us up for retirement or moving on to the next duty station. If he retires, he needs to decide what he wants to be when he grows up. There is the economy to consider, our house in Virginia, schools, therapies, and any number of other things. We also have to consider what each move means to our extended family.

Blogging is hard because I can’t say too much about Ray’s options. It pretty much means we’ll be choosing a safe, financially secure place to live or stepping out of our box to provide new experiences for the girls. Ordinarily I’m all over adventure. Time to jump in with both feet. The experience moving here let me know that at least one of my children has a very difficult time with change. We’re going to get Jack home and move him a year later.

Our minds run around and around every option. If this then this and maybe that. It’s exhausting. Sleep isn’t coming easily. We know we’ll be okay where ever we wind up. The fact that we have to choose is awful. Discerning where God wants us to be is tough.

In the middle did I mention we’ve been waiting for LOA for 34 days? 34 days…